Ad-blocking extensions such as Adblock Plus are widely famous among webmasters and bloggers, whether they are used to kill annoying and distracting ads or reduce the speed of your computer device. One of the significant weaknesses is that the extensions work with the browsers only when you don’t update them for months or have not installed them from the legitimate sources. If you want to block advertising from some domains worldwide, you can easily edit the computer’s host files and stop the browser, your iPhone or another application from opening the ads of that particular company.
Igor Gamanenko, a lead professional from Semalt, explains here how the whole procedure works.
DNS is regarded as the telephone book on the internet. Your computer or laptop will use two different methods to locate the server over the network. At first, the host files were used but now the files became more complicated due to University and DARPA hosts. Later on, DNA was introduced with an aim to turn the lookup into services for all the users. These days, almost all operating systems perform name-to-IP lookups by checking the host files. If the file is not found, they send DNA queries.
With time, DNA has become a serious security issue on the internet. Any type of machine that has the ability to alter the name-to-IP lookup will trick your DNS system into believing the remote servers and SSL without letting you know anything. The safety of the SSL certificate ensures that your online shopping experience on DNA is safe and secure. If you change your ad-server to the local machine, you can easily perform a variety of tasks on your device, without any problem. Is that what you really want to do? Some other benefits of this system have been discussed below.
1. It can speed up the internet because default checks the local host file before using the DNA.
2. It is useful for all types of browsers and can work for different custom apps such as RealPlayer, iTunes, Twitter, and others.
3. It can work at the OS name resolution levels and has nothing to do with the TCP and UDP traffic.
4. It is dependent on the platform, MS Windows, OSX, and Linux. If the system is using the IP (internet protocol), it will definitely have the host file somewhere.
5. It can stop ad tracking, and the host file is an excellent source for that. If you don’t want to get tracked, you might need to use the opt-out cookies.
6. It can easily block the malware and spyware. If the server location is added to the file, that will increase the safety of your computer and will ensure excellent networking experience.
Block the Host File with Community Created Files:
First of all, you have to locate the host file which is present somewhere on your computer. The next task is to block this file with community created files. If you don’t have a host file, then you can move on without changing it. But if you have the host file, you should make some backup copies to make sure that your data is not lost. There is no need to create the host files, adding multiple ad servers as your computer will still perform efficiently.
The Final Note:
When you have blocked any website with the entry in your host file, it is just like a nuclear bomb. But there is nothing to worry about as you can block it on your PC and stop it from getting loaded.